Deed Poll


In Hong Kong, you can change your name (or the name of your child) at any time by way of a deed poll. A deed poll is generally required if you wish to apply to have your name changed officially on documents like your Hong Kong Identify Card (HKID), passport or driving licence.

What is a Deed Poll ?

A deed poll is a legal document binding a person to express an active intention; it is most commonly used for changing name officially. It can only be executed by an adult aged 18 years old or over. There are no limitations on the number of times a person can change their name.


There are certain restrictions when it comes to choosing a new name. It must not:

  • exceed 6 Chinese characters;
  • exceed 60 English characters;
  • contain Non-English characters;
  • contain any punctuation marks; or
  • contain vulgar or foul language

We reserve the right to refuse to witness a deed poll application with any name that we have reason to believe is chosen with the intention of committing fraud.

Changing the Name of a Child

For a child under the age of 11, the parents can apply directly at any of the Births Registries in Hong Kong to have the name of their child changed. Thereafter, a deed poll is required to change the child's name.

Anyone who has custody of the child can arrange for his name to changed. However, any change to the surname of a child must be done by written consent by everyone who has parental responsibility for the child in question.

Time and Fees Involved

A deed poll can be prepared, executed and witnessed the same day you retain our firm. Our fee is HKD500 is per deed poll.

If you have additional questions which are not addressed here or wish to schedule an appointment, please contact us by telephone on +852 2176 4777 or by email at [email protected].

Our Guide to Change Your Name in Hong Kong

We have prepared a detailed guide on how to change your name in Hong Kong which can be accessed here. Hopefully, this guide will address any questions that you have about the procedure for changing your name.

Frequently Asked Questions

We have listed the most common questions that we are being asked on a weekly basis and have answered them in some details here

Want to change your name ?